9/09/2011

Blog Post Numero Uno!


My first full day as an elementary PE teacher(second overall) was not what I would call fun! I had about 8 classes with at least 25 kids a piece...but some had as many as 40. Let's just say I was ready to retire about 1 1/2 days into my second year. I was basically having culture shock. Moving from high school to elementary is kind of like moving from.....Louisiana to Hawaii. I definitely wasn't prepared for the foul mouthed 3rd grader I was about to meet.

As the 3rd graders marched in I noticed one girl doing her own thing. She took her sweet time and I was watching every bit of it. I finally had enough and told her she had about 3 seconds to sit down with everyone else. Her response was "shut the hell up you white mother ******"........wait what did she just say? Did I just hear this girl right? Surely not. No, of course not. I looked at the other kids who were also in disbelief and then my mindset changed from shock to anger. My first thought was to crane kick her right in the mouth ala Daniel Son in Karate Kid. I'm pretty sure I even played the scene out in my head but decided against it. Next thought was to go for a Spock pressure point maneuver, again a bad idea.

This was the first of many confrontations she and I had. They usually ended up with the same result, squating or doing situps until sweat and tears were mixing. She only made it a couple months at our school before being sent to the Alternative School, but thanks to that dear sweet child I will never forget my first day as an elementary PE teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment